Thunderstruck 2 Slot Review — a High-Paying Online Casino Game
Many online reel machines have a Norse theme, but such overabundance only makes the slot Thunderstruck 2 look more appealing. When it first premiered in 2010, this Microgaming title caused a furore with its rich pantheon of features, appealing visuals, and solid payouts.
Thunderstruck 2 remained a top choice among players throughout the years, which prompted its creator to release a remastered version at the end of 2020. If you’d like to learn what’s new or are new to the game yourself, tag along for the ride! We’ll discuss every important aspect, show you how to play it, and recommend some excellent UK casinos.
The Thunderstruck 2 Slot Is All about Norse Mythology
As we mentioned at the start, this machine revolves around the gods of Norse mythology and their abode — the magical city of Asgard. The eponymous AC/DC song is in no way associated with the game, although there’s nothing stopping you from shouting “THUNDERSTRUCK” when you get a big win.
The overall vibe in this game is a bit dark and mysterious. This is owed to the stony dark-blue background that never flickers with movement. Naturally, the main attraction in the Thunderstruck 2 online slot is its runic reels and the 14 symbols that can appear on them. Join us in our next section as we discuss these tokens and the features they unlock.
Features of the Thunderstruck 2 Online Slot
On the surface, Thunderstruck 2 looks like a completely standard reel machine. Its matrix of five columns and three rows is widely used in the genre. However, layouts of this type give developers creative freedom to introduce new features and payout mechanisms. For example, Microgaming has inserted 243 betting lines that are always active and work from left to right. This ensures that you’ll get paid whenever 3+ matching symbols appear on the reels. The only requirement is for the string to start from the first column; the positioning of the tokens is not important.
Most of the symbols in the Thunderstruck 2 slot game don’t have any special properties aside from their payout values. They can be divided into two groups: the low-payers (six playing card ranks, from 9 to Ace) and high-value tokens (a Viking longboat, Asgard, a Valkyrie, Loki, Odin, and Thor).
The two symbols you’ll want to look out for are the Wild and the Scatter. The former yields the highest payouts, substitutes all normal symbols and multiplies the winnings of combinations that contain it by 2. The latter is a big battle hammer that multiplies your entire wager rather than just the line bet. The Scatter doesn’t need to be on adjacent reels for you to receive a payout, and it even grants money for a 2-of-a-kind.
How to Enter the Great Hall of Spins
Whenever the Thunderstruck 2 slot machine produces three or more Scatters on a single spin, you’ll be sent to a multi-tiered bonus stage known as “The Great Hall of Spins.” This area has a total of four different levels inspired by the divine beings in this game. They are progressively unlocked as you land more and more Scatters.
The first four times, you’ll be in the Valkyrie stage, then you’ll be able to choose Loki on your 5th free spins win, Odin on the 10th, and Thor on the 15th. Each character brings a different feature and number of free rounds. Here’s what they do:
- The Valkyrie grants 10 free spins in this slot. Thunderstruck 2 will multiply any winnings you receive for the duration of the round by 5. You can prolong the stage by landing more Scatters.
- Loki gives you 15 free rounds and inserts a “Wild Magic” symbol that can only appear on the middle reel. Once it does, it will transform up to 15 other tokens into Wilds. Keep in mind that “Wild Magic” Wilds don’t pay double like the standard ones. This stage can be extended if extra Scatters appear.
- Odin comes in with 20 complimentary spins that have the “Wild Raven” feature enabled. Whenever you get a win, symbols will be transformed at random into special Wilds with an increased multiplier (up to 6). The Thunderstruck 2 slot won’t allow you to extend this bonus.
- Thor basically turns the game into “Gonzo’s Quest.” For 25 spins, the tumbling reels feature will be enabled. Winning combinations will disappear, and the empty spaces will be filled with new symbols that fall from above. Combo wins are rewarded with a multiplier that can reach up to x5.
Lightning Strikes with Wildstorm
Lastly, we have a surprise mechanic called “Wildstorm.” As you spin along, there’s a random chance that Thor will come crashing down the reels. The deity will then swing his mighty hammer, turning one to five reels completely Wild. This feature can yield mythic payouts, but do note that regular Wilds and Scatters won’t appear during “Wildstorm.”
The Thunderstruck 2 Slot Machine Jackpot
A big reason to play Thunderstruck 2 is its tantalizing jackpot that can multiply your bet by x8,000. The game also states that its top prize is £480,000, but we’re not fans of this phrasing. Winning close to half a million is only possible if you wager with the £60 maximum, something that most players can’t afford.
In any case, receiving the coveted x8,000 multiplier from a single spin involves landing multiple Wild 5-of-a-Kinds. The Odin bonus stage is a good place to try your luck, as his ravens can add additional multipliers up to x6.
Betting Range, RTP and Volatility
Thanks to its wide betting limits, the Thunderstruck 2 slot game can fit into the entertainment budget of nearly every player. Low rollers can wager as little as £0.30 per round, while those with larger expendable incomes can risk up to £60 at one go.
Granted, slots that can accommodate £0.10 and even £0.01 stakes exist, but they usually come with fewer paylines and a higher house edge. In contrast, this title always provides 243 winning ways and a satisfying RTP rate of 96.65%, which is higher than average.
In terms of volatility, this release is rather flexible. The four bonus stages inserted by Microgaming are not only there for variety but also allow you to control the risk/reward factor to a certain extent. Thus, the Thunderstruck 2 slot machine can be low or medium on the variance spectrum.
What’s New with the Remastered Thunderstruck 2 Slot Game?
We found some old screenshots from the original Thunderstruck 2 and compared them to the new version. It turned out to be a bit like one of those “spot the difference” puzzles, as most of the changes are very subtle. This was always an attractive title, so it seems like Microgaming has slightly embellished some of the symbols and the game’s logo to make them pop out a bit more.
A mobile-friendly betting interface is the most significant modification made to the new Thunderstruck 2 slot. All the buttons and menus are clustered in one big horizontal widget that sits to the right of the reels. This ensures that the buttons for spin/auto-spin, bet setting, and the “turbo” mode are all within easy reach of your right thumb. Now, it’s also possible to play while holding your phone in portrait mode. In this case, the buttons move to the bottom of the screen. We tested the title with tablets and smartphones on iOS and Android and encountered no problems while playing.
How to Play Thunderstruck 2
- As per UKGC regulations, the demos of casino games in Britain are heavily restricted. Ergo, you’ll need to create a casino account and wager real money if you want to play Thunderstruck 2. Fortunately, this slot is available in some of the largest and most established gaming sites in the country. We’ve listed five of these esteemed sites, so feel free to choose one if you’re ready to roll with the gods: 32Red, 888casino, Grosvenor, Mr.Green, MansionCasino
- After you locate this title using the search bar, the first and only task before playing is to configure the size of your wagers. This is done through the coin-shaped button on the widget. If you’re wondering how much to bet, our advice is to keep your stakes low. The Thunderstruck 2 online slot has progressive bonus stages unlocked through multiple Scatter-filled spins that are hard to come by. Make sure to have enough money for at least 150-200 rounds.
- When you’re ready, press the big spin icon at the centre of the widget or the button above it to set up auto spins. The “Turbo” mode could be disabled with your operator, as the UKGC demands that a single spin should last at least 2.5 seconds.
It’s no wonder that the Thunderstruck 2 slot is considered one of Microgaming’s finest creations. It has amazing graphics, entertaining features, a high RTP rate, and satisfying win potential. The remastered version introduces a much-needed mobile-friendly interface, making this release a great all-rounder that anyone can enjoy.
If you’d like to see whether Loki, Odin, or Thor will bring you luck, take a virtual trip to Asgard with one of the gaming sites we listed above. Aside from being respected, licensed, and secure, they host a huge variety of premium games and offer bonuses that can extend your play sessions and provide additional chances of winning.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the RTP Rate of Thunderstruck 2?
It stands at 96.65%, or 0.65% higher than the genre average. However, we have to note that the Thunderstruck 2 slot machine won’t return £96.65 for £100 wagered every time you play it. Its volatility level enables you to have both winning and losing sessions, with the latter being more likely to occur.
Can I Adjust the Paylines?
No, the 243 winning ways are always active. We consider this a good thing, as it guarantees that the RTP rate stays consistent for all players. What you can do is adjust the size of your wagers (£0.30-£60).
Can I Pick the Bonus Level?
Yes, but keep in mind that your selection will be limited until you gather enough Scatter wins.
Which Free Spins Feature Is the Best?
It depends on your preferences. We like the Valkyrie and Loki stages of the Thunderstruck 2 slot, as they can be extended if 3+ Scatters land. Players often comment that the last level (Thor) often feels underwhelming, so playing for long to unlock it doesn’t make much sense.